The main objectives of National Service Scheme (NSS) are:
1. Understand the community in which they work
2. Understand themselves in relation to their community
3. Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving
4. Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
5. Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems
6. Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities
7. Gain skills in mobilizing community participation
8. Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes
9. Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters
10. Practice national integration and social harmony
INTERNATIONAL YOGA DAY CELEBRATION
MVM’s Degree College of Commerce & Science celebrated International Yoga Day on 21st June 2017 at 9.00 am to 10.30 am. The event was convened by our Hon. Principal Dr Gopal Kalkoti, Ms Khushboo (yoga trainee and member of Goregaon sports club).The event was organized by the NSS unit of MVM Degree College. The guests of honour for the day were:
- Mr Krishnakumar Bangera, President, MV Mandali,
- Mr Ajit Suvarna, Trustee, MV Mandali,
- Mr Prashant Thingalaya, Chairman, Infrastructure Committee, MV Mandali,
- Mr Harish Puthran-Managing Committee Member, MV Mandali
TREE PLANTATION PROGRAMME BY NSS
On 29th July, 2017, MVM Degree College of Commerce & Science successfully completed the event of Tree Plantation under the National Service Scheme at HDIL Park, Virar (E). The event began with the welcoming of guest Honorable Mr. Shekhar Abhyankar and Mr. Ajay More, BMC Officer, by NSS Program Officer Ms. Trupti Narvankar and Mr. Hussain Ali.
LEADERSHIP TRAINING PROGRAMME FOR NSS LEADERS
NSS Unit of MVM Degree College participated in Leadership Training camp at University of Mumbai from 10th August 2016 onwards. Our NSS Volunteers attended the camp for one week. NSS team leaders from different colleges of Mumbai participated in the camp. The main objective of the camp was to orient NSS leaders on various NSS Activities and develop leadership qualities among them.
Rotaract Club of MVM Degree College of Commerce & Science in collaboration with NSS unit of the University of Mumbai had organized Diabetes Free Checkup Camp on 18th September 2016. The total of 106 local residents got their check-up done. The event was also conducted in collaboration with Terna Medical College and BMC Hospital, Mumbai.
CLEANLINESS PROJECT BY NSS VOLUNTEERS
The Volunteers of NSS Unit of MVM Degree college of Commerce and Science surveyed the area of MVM Educational Campus Marg on 26th September 2016 and they found the following three complaints:
- Public Toilets: they are not maintained properly.
- Dustbins: Many people litter outside the dustbin.
- Residents need their area cleaned up twice a day.
NSS volunteers took the following action on the basis of survey results:
- Coordinating with the BMC authorities
- Educating the locals on the importance of cleanliness and how to maintain cleanliness in the area
- Teaching them how to segregate recyclable waste from non-recyclable waste
- Using less plastic bags or reusing them
- Teach them to make paper bags and use them instead of plastic bags.
CONSTITUTION DAY CELEBRATION
NSS Unit of MVM College celebrated constitution day on 26th November 2016. On the occasion of constitution day NSS Volunteer, Mr Ashwin Poojary will address students and briefed them about the significance of celebrating the Constitution Day. On this day NSS Cell of Mumbai University had organized “Rally on Anti Dowary” from 9:30 am onwards.
7 Days Special Residential Camp
The 7 days residential camp at adopted village “Bharol” was a great experience for each of the volunteers. Learning personality development, time management, camp management and other things were new and beneficial for every one of us. Students were constructed dam area, farming, grass cutting, cleaning, etc.
METRO SWACHA ABHIYAAN
Mumbai Metro has also collaborated with National Service Scheme (NSS), to generate cleanliness awareness. NSS volunteers has participated the “Metro Swachha Abhiyan” under “Swachha Bharat Abhiyan”. Under this session students were reached from Ghatkopar to Versova metro station and they interacted with metro people for cleanliness feedbacks.
CLEANLINESS DRIVE ORGANIZED BY MVM EDUCATION CAMPUS UNDER SWACHHA BHARAT ABHIYAN
M.V.M DEGREE COLLEGE OF COMMERCE AND SCIENCE successfully conducted an NSS activity, named SWACHH M.V.M ABHIYAN [SWACHH BHARAT ABHIYAN] on Saturday, 8th August, 2015. The event was inaugurated by Honourable Chief guest Corporator Mrs. Jyoti Sutar.
The Hon. Corporator Mrs Jyoti Sutar emphasised on the cleanliness and the extended her full support along with BMC staff of K-West Ward. The BMC officer Mr Sunil Jadhav & Mr Landage extended their full support to the MVM Degree College of Commerce & Science regarding the Cleanliness Drive.
SELF DEFENSE SEMINAR
Time:11.30am -12.30 pm
Safety always comes first. Current Society environment demands learning and adoption of self-defence dividual today. So MVM Degree College conducted a workshop on “Self-Defence” for Girls and Judo practice for Boys. The session was taken up by the Marshall Art Experts Mr.Manohar Bangera and Mr.Yatish Bangera.
MEDICAL CHECK UP CAMP
On Friday, 5th February 2016 and 6th February 2016 MVM Educational Campus organized Medical checkup in association with ‘Satya Sai Trust’ for the students of all the sections i.e. school, Jr. college & Degree. The NSS volunteers assisted the medical staff under the guidance of Mrs Hansa Barwani (In-charge of Medical camp of Satya Sai Trust).